Saturday, July 23, 2011

Mein Sampson Too Lieben

Thursday would have been Sammy's 10th birthday. He was born on July 21, 2001. We were living in post housing on Fort Meade, Maryland. I had a preschooler, a toddler in diapers, a 6 month old puppy (Susie), and a 6 month old kitten (Rosie). We moved on average of every 6-10 months at that point in our lives. I did not want another dog! I did not want another responsibility. I have to say, the argument discussion about whether or not to even purchase Sammy was a big one. It ended like this: "I don't want another dog, but we aren't getting anywhere with this argument so you might as well do what you want!!!" Before the last word was even fully out of my mouth Brian walked out the door with the checkbook and came home with a puppy.

When this picture was taken I didn't even really like him yet.


 He ate toys, furniture, and diapers. He ate bicycle seats. He ate Susie's poop. And then he'd come inside and burp the most disgusting poop scented burps. Yeah, I didn't really care for him.

This is Sammy last month before we had to say good bye to him.


He had cancer in his bladder and his head was caving in on one side. The two different veterinarians we took him to told us that it was likely caused by the muscles in his head atrophying. Unfortunately this progressed rapidly and made it painful for him to eat. He tried to stay happy and please us up until the end, but saying good bye to him was the best way to end his suffering.

His official AKC name was Mein Sampson Too Lieben. Our other dog's AKC name was Mein Susie Q Lieben. In American/German it means roughly "I love my Susie Q." Sammy's dad's name was Sampson so we thought it would be cute to name him Sampson Too ... like he was also Sampson. Since it rhymed with Susie Q it seemed to fit. Anyway, his name was very appropriate. But the time he was two years old I was in love with him. By the time he was four I couldn't imagine our family without him. By the time we said good bye I was so glad that I lost that argument in the summer of 2001.

RIP Sammy
July 21, 2001 - June 17, 2011

No comments: