Thursday, March 06, 2008

I Never Thought I'd Say This!

Last weekend I was talking to my sister-in-law Lisa when I said a sentence I never imagined I could even think, let alone say. It went something like this: The tickets to the rodeo were sold out so Brian and I are going to take the boys to the rattlesnake roundup in Sweetwater instead. Yes, I said that. And worse, it was all true. I really tried to buy tickets to the rodeo and they really were sold out. I didn't even know something could sell out here in this tiny little West Texas town! And we really are going to take the boys to Sweetwater (don't you just love the name of that town?) to go to a rattlesnake roundup. What is a rattlesnake roundup, you ask? Even if you aren't asking I am going to tell you. This is from wikipedia.org:

A Rattlesnake Round-Up is a rodeo-like event common to rural Midwest where, rather than bovines, rattlesnakes are the primary animal attraction. The largest of the several Rattlesnake Round-Up events is in Sweetwater, Texas. Held every year since 1958, the event currently attracts approximately 35,000 visitors per year and results in the capture of 1% of the state's rattlesnake population.

So on Saturday we are going to Sweetwater to the rattlesnake roundup. There are several attractions including a rattlesnake parade, the Miss Snake Charmer Pageant, the weigh-in of the snakes, the showing of the rattlesnakes, a gun & knife show, indoor and outdoor flea markets, a brisket and chili cook-off, rattlesnake dancers, a rattlesnake meat eating contest, a carnival and a beard contest. I mean, what more could you ask for?!?

I promise pictures!

5 comments:

Julie said...

You have really been possessed by the spirit of Texas, will you ever be able to move back to the north?

Anonymous said...

I'll take the Strawberry Festival anyday.We had shish-ka-berries not snake burgers! You have fun!!!!

Amy said...

Julie,
I guess we are sticking to the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" ... except we sure aren't in Rome!!!

Amy said...

Aunt Kathy,
If I could be in Florida right now I'd be at the strawberry festival instead of the rattlesnake roundup too!!!

Amy said...

PS, I am so proud of you for learning how to post a comment!