Saturday, July 28, 2007

Kids vs. Wild

Have you seen the Discovery channel show called Man vs. Wild? The premise of the show is extreme survival skills based on the military training and experience of host Bear Grylls, a (cute) British guy who was in special operations that is willing to go to such extremes as eating live snakes, grubs, worms, etc and even drinking his own urine...all for the benefit of the camera. Brian and the kids have spent time watching Man vs. Wild this past week. It is just about the only time I have seen them actually sit still for any length of time so I am not going to complain. The only bad thing is the side effect. It is like letting your three-year old son watch Power Rangers ... what does he do after the show ends?!? He karate chops his sister, right? Well, Brian and the kids decided to have their own "Kids vs. Wild" afternoon. Chase, Kenny, and Dylon were thrilled. Bethany went along just to be a good sport. What a good sister :)

First Brian took them out to the Twin Buttes to look for bugs and prickly pear cactus to eat. They all took large, dirty knives and machetes with them. I stayed home and did something domestic and normal.
Then they set up their "camp" -- a tarp on a rope. Sounds comfy, huh?

Some extra supplies -- water and popsicles (it was pretty hot).

An idea? Has he watched too much Man vs. Wild?

Unsuspecting prey?

Well, at least they cooked their grasshoppers before they ate them. Yes, they ate them!





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome show You should Larry and Andrew watch this show it absolutley crazy!

Anonymous said...

I hope they knew they were supposed to pull out the intestine and not eat that part! Tape worms reside there!!!!

Amy said...

Yes, they did. They only ate the "meat" part. It was tiny.

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

Who knew- I thought people ate the entire grasshopper. This is hilarious!! Tell the boys I am impressed; they are much braver than I am!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe Chase was so calm eating that MEAT!

Amy said...

When he first got the idea I said, "Chase, you do know that you'll be eating MEAT, right?" And he was like, "ok, no big deal" But heaven forbid I try to get the boy to try a bite of a burger or something!! It's like the sky is falling!