Friday, November 07, 2008

Use it or Lose it

My TExES exam is coming up soon. It is one of the three teacher certification exams I will be taking between now and March '09. One of three $120 tests that I need to pass to be able to teach in Texas. Well, technically only two of them are necessary, but I would really like to take & pass the third test so that I can teach K-8th grade instead of K-4th grade. As I mentioned here, there is a program that will pay for my exams. I am very happy about that. Especially because I can spend up to $600 on exams. That means if I have to take one of them twice, it won't cost me an extra $120. Anyway, my first exam covers the ECH-grade 4 content areas. 40% of my exam is language arts/reading, 15% is math, 15% is science, 15% is social studies, and the remaining 15% covers art, music, physical education, and health. I have been studying a little bit here and there. Last night I studied the music section of my study guide. I used to be in band. I played the flute from 4th to 12th grade. I played the piano the first time I went to college (back in the dark ages). I can't sing, but I was musically inclined. As I was studying last night I realized I was not in a good place for that part of my test. I have forgotten SO MUCH! Another big worry: the social studies area. It is almost all Texas history. Go figure. One page of my study guide is dedicated to WWI, WWII, and the Vietnam War. 17 pages are dedicated to Texas' history and the Alamo. In this case, I haven't forgotten anything ... I never knew it in the first place. Let's move on the math. I would have called myself a math whiz in high school. Now I can't do Chase's homework. I took all except one of my college math classes in the early 90's. I took one last summer. While I was on vacation. With my laptop open on the side of the desk while I was taking the tests on the desktop. Yup, I am in trouble. Good thing I have $600 to spend. I might need every single dollar of it!

No comments: