This morning the boys had to go to Lamar Elementary School for more testing. I guess the school district wanted to make sure we hadn't just spent the entire school year skipping the homeschooling and watching cartoons. The boys both tested yesterday and today. Kenny is done, but Chase still has one more day of testing. They did very well and will most definitely be going to the 5th and 2nd grade next year. Yesterday the counselor told me I could leave and that she'd call me when they were done. 25 minutes later she was calling me! I had just finished checking out at the commissary on post and had to book it over to the school to get them. Today I decided to wait and it took almost 2 hours. For the first time in my life I read the entire newspaper ... cover to cover!
After that was done we came home for a quick lunch, a short walk, and then headed over to the college. I needed a transcript evaluation from the sociology department. I am really split 50/50 on the teacher education/social worker decision. The person who did my evaluation was not very friendly with me at first. He acted like I was a stay-at-home mom who wanted something to do in between manicures and facials. Then he started looking at my transcripts, grades, and military classes (can you say Russian linguist?!?) He was seriously impressed and by the time I left he was trying to sell me on the sociology department just the same way a car salesman tries to sell the latest sports car to a 45 year old bald man! He doesn't need to know I have forgotten most of my Russian and that the reason I have a 4.0 GPA is because I only do my homework as a result of not having enough money to spend my time getting manicures and facials!
We left the college just in time to get home and into the garage as a huge storm hit the house, er, I mean city. The kids were worried (think Wizard of Oz) and the animals were all trying to hide under furniture. I didn't think the storm was that bad, but watching all of the animals (kids included) in the house act like that was interesting. I thought it was a great opportunity to watch a movie and stuff my face. Hey, I walked 2 miles earlier today so I can get away with it, right?
Now it's after 5:00, the sun is shining, and we are going outside to play in the mudpit that used to be our back yard. If anyone has any advice/opinions/help on the teacher education/social worker debate, please let me know. I have until Monday to accept or decline a scholarship I was awarded so I'd like to have a major by then!
2 comments:
I say you go for the teacher career, but that's just me. :) If you work in a school building you'll have a lot of holidays off with the boys. Not to mention, (the most important part) I think you'd be an awesome teacher!
Who knows, you could end up teaching online courses through NCVPS and be at home. They are talking about adding junior high and elementary school within the next few years. Sounds crazy, but it's exciting!
AmyLynn,
I also say you should go for teaching. You will realize that a lot of teaching is social work! Your kids will need you so much and you will be awesome! I just know how much influence you will have with them and how greatly you will impact their life. You are an awesome mom and will take to your students as if they are your own. It will be taxing, but that is why we have summers off! We need time to recover and get ready for the next group.
Do what feels right and best to you, I know that you will be amazing at either job.
Post a Comment