It seems if you are from the South or even visiting the South, no matter what type of carbonated beverage you are drinking, son, you are drinking a Coke. I am sure the Pepsi people are not too thrilled with that.Lots of Brian's relatives use "Coke" for every type of soda that they drink. Well, Chase is one of Brian's relatives. So I guess that makes it ok, right? Or maybe we've been in the south too damn long!
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
South of the Mason Dixon
Chase was born in NY. I was born and raised in NY. Most of his upbringing has been "northern" because I am bossy and because his southern father likes to get deployed a lot. Apparently Brian's been home too long. Or peer influence is getting to Chase. Today he used "fixin' to" in a sentence. He said he was "fixin' to get worried" when he couldn't find his sunglasses. He didn't even realize he said it! And he wasn't making fun of southerners either. That is usually the only time we use that phrase around here. Then about 30 minutes later he was trying to do a juggling trick with a plastic bottle of Sprite and he called it a Coke. A coke! If you are from the north and were smart enough to stay in the north, you might not know why this is so monumental. I found this on the internet to help you understand:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You know I say "fixin" all the time. And now I know the truth, that you sit at home and make fun of me for it. That's fine. I figure it's okay, so long as you don't give me down the road about it. Or a come to Jesus session. I have enough of those with my kids.
Oh, and dude, everything with carbonation in it IS a coke.
Remember when Chase was 3 and he said I'm fixin to cry and I started laughing. He asked you what I was laughing about when he felt so sad. What a northerner I am. The boys will be well rounded!!!
Uh, hello, Jennifer ... where are you from? Ms. Southern Belle? I don't say y'all, fixin' to, or Coke unless I am making fun of someone!
I don't think you really have to worry until you start hearing these coming from his lips:
"It's slicker than spit on a frog's back"
and
"Doesn't that make you want to spit chicken shit out your teeth?"
OMG! Lisa, I would just die if my kids said something like that! I guess "fixin to" isn't so bad after all.
Cindy said...In NC...Hey Ya'll thats how I talk from living in NC. Most people think I'm from Texas!:))))LOL Anyways...I say would ya'll like (somum to drink)->
(Something to drink)? Crazy some times how us southerners talk;))Funny-funny
I'm from Georgia.
I know you're from Georgia! I was just teasing you.
Wait until he has to, "go over yonder" or "down yonder" then it is time to worry:-)
Post a Comment