Tuesday, March 18, 2008
The Caverns of Sonora
Last night we had a dramatic change in weather. It was so dramatic that we went from 80 and sunny to 50 with tornado warnings. Today it was cloudy and rainy all day. We decided we needed something to do to get out of the house, but we couldn't really enjoy the outdoors with the weather being only 50 degrees (sorry Julie, I know that would be a heat wave for you!) So we went to Caverns of Sonora. It was really very pretty and a nice thing to do to get out of the house. I have been wanting to do this for quite a while, but as some of you know my plans to go last spring were foiled by a certain golf tournament.
The tour was nice because inside the caverns the temperature is a constant 71 degrees and humid. So it is warm. There's no wind, which is a nice change for this part of Texas. That makes it nice and calm. And quiet. Well, I think it is quiet for most people. Groups of 12 go together. There were five of us (Brian, me, my mom, and the boys) and a couple with their five kids. Their kids were unbelievably well behaved and quiet. It was the mother who was unbelievably annoying. Jennifer told me once that in the south you can say anything you want about a person as long as you add "God Bless Her" at the end of it. At least I think it was Jennifer who told me that. I'd call Jennifer to ask her, but her daughter Haley had her tonsils out today and that is a little more important than the redneck I am about the spend 10 minutes making fun of on my blog. So Jennifer, if it wasn't you, I am sorry. But it was good advice and I am about to use it!
This woman must have been about 24 years old. Try to imagine the most annoying southern accent you have ever heard and then imagine hearing it say, "Oh, baby, take a picture of that!" about 500 times. And add in some fondling and touching. She couldn't keep her hands off from him. I overheard them talking to the tour guide about most of the kids being steps and halves and cousins so I think only the baby was theirs togethers. I am pretty sure they were anxious to get back home to work on rounding off their group into a nice half-a-dozen. At one point during the tour Kenny raised his hand and asked a question about the effects of humans touching stalactites and stalagmites. He knew that the oils from our hands would stop the minerals from forming. He wanted to ask about the ranchers who first discovered the caverns and wondered whether or not they knew that they shouldn't touch them. When the tour guide finished answering his question our friendly 24-year old mama from Texas chimed in with her two cents to let the entire group know that she thought the stalactites looked just like "them french fries from Arby's that I like so much." That is why the name of this posting was almost "She wasn't smarter than my 2nd grader!" God Bless Her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Does Brian know he's been featured on your blog two days in a row?!
:-) MH
Did the woman remind you of my cousin Lynn at all? I'm glad you are out having fun. I'm not jealous of your weather for once, I hate tornados! It's going to be 45 degrees today.
No, your cousin Lynn had the accent, but at least she was funny, smart, and I enjoyed being with her!
Here in Sweet Home Alabama, we would say, "Bless her little heart!"
I think we should probably say, Bless her tiny brain!
Post a Comment