Monday, October 20, 2008

Our Weekend

We went to Fort Sill, Oklahoma over the weekend so that we could spend some time with Brian. In the 40-something hours that we were together we tried to do a few things that we thought would be fun. On post there is a large military museum which includes lots of Army stuff that I can't really tell you about (because it all just seems the same to me!) I do know that this particular tank is the tank Brian worked on the first time he was in the Army. When he was a cute 18-19 year old boy in Desert Storm. Before he went into the MI field. Before he learned a language (or four). And before he met me. So basically we'll call this time period BA for Before Amy.


One of the places we took the boys was the Wichita Wildlife Refuge. Brian and I went here the week before we got married. This weekend we thought it would be a fun place to take the boys. It's a great way to spend a day ... especially a nice warm fall day. The weather was perfect!


The first thing we saw when we drove in was a couple of longhorn cattle crossing the road.


Then we climbed Mount Scott. As we were driving up in the car we stopped for a couple of snapshots.




Then we got to the top and got out to explore a little. Here are the boys with Brian on their "recliner" in the rocks.


This is me being silly and jumping like Super Mario.


On the way back down the mountain we stopped to take pictures of some buffalo. This is a picture of me taking a picture of a buffalo (Chase had his camera with him too).


Here is a picture of Chase trying to MOO to the buffalo. He was hoping to get him to chase me around a little. What a nice kid.


Here's my picture:


We stopped at Lake Quanah Parker to check out some geese.


Then we went hiking at Cache Creek Canyon to find the Forty Foot Hole where Brian and I went skinny dipping swimming when we were here over a decade ago. We found it. Being there with our kids was a lot different! But not in a bad way :)




Here are the boys crossing the French Lake Dam on our way out of Cache Creek Canyon.


And our last stop (probably everyone's favorite) was to Prairie Dog Village.


We brought some Ritz crackers and spent a long time feeding the Prairie Dogs. It was fun for all of us, but especially so for Brian because his parents used to bring him here a lot when he was a boy. It seems like we are constantly going places and doing things that I did when I was little so it was really special to share something with the boys that Brian did when he was a kid.




And of course ... on the way out we saw more cattle. They were crossing the road and we had to pull over to wait for them. I thought I'd get a few snapshots before we headed out.


The entire weekend was a lot of fun and a good way to spend some time with Brian.

1 comment:

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

Wow- I'm amazed at how much you were able to fit in your 40 hour visit! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun and you got some great photos!