Friday, November 23, 2007

Sew, Cook, Clean, Sew

That was my Thanksgiving day. 12 hours of it anyway. We have a tablecloth that we only use on Thanksgiving. Each year after dinner we sign it with a fabric pen. Then I use embroidery floss to make the signatures permanent. Each year gets a different color and I sew the city, state, and year along the edge of the tablecloth in the matching color. Last year on Thanksgiving Day we were moving. We spent the entire day packing the truck. (Then we went to Fire Mountain for dinner.)

The next day hubby left for Texas and the boys and I were in an empty house just waiting for our closing date to approach. I sewed the tablecloth and packed it to go to NY to visit family. We decided to have another Thanksgiving dinner while we were in NY. My tablecloth was signed and packed just in time to make the long trip to Texas. (Thank goodness it wasn't in the car top carrier that was stolen in Houston!) I had plenty of time to sew the signatures from our 2nd Thanksgiving dinner, but I never did it. I thought about it several times over the last few weeks but I never actually did it. So on Thursday morning I sewed the signatures from 2006, washed it, dried it, put it on the table, we ate, signed it, and I sat down to sew it right away. Now I can't decide if I should do that again next year (sew it right after dinner), or give myself a year off and sew it on Thanksgiving morning 2009. Anyway, here are some pictures of our past years' signatures. This is probably my favorite holiday decoration of all time.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's alot of work. You'll look back at this 30 years from now and be glad you have it.

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

You are so going to hate my friend Sarah! She had entirely too much to drink and wrote a book!! she's not the only one who had too mch drink either. Both her and I have typos that we crossed out and fixed-how funny!

Amy said...

That's ok Lisa, I'll still sew your tablecloth for you ... you both drank too much and it will probably take me 11 months to sew it so you'll never know if I do a little editing :)