Sunday, March 30, 2008

Panic in the Neighborhood

This is our house. It's on a corner lot with no houses behind it. Our entire neighborhood (like many neighborhood in this area) is arranged so that the garage is in the back of the house. It's great because we have an alley that we use for the garage and the garbage. The kids love it because they can play basketball and ride their bikes in the street with very little traffic.


When we first moved here the field behind our house looked like this:

Brian and the kids spent an entire weekend clearing a large area so that we could use it as an extension of our own yard. Now it looks like this:

This is the start of the 4-wheeler/dirt bike track that Brian made. It also leads to the area that the boys and their friends play in and build forts and hide-outs in:

It might look messy, but to a group of 7-11 year old boys it is heaven on earth. On top of that, I am really grateful to live in a house that isn't surrounded by 500 other houses. Our neighborhood is small and quiet and safe.... just the way I like it.

Yesterday morning we heard a monstrously loud noise coming from the back field. For the last two days there has been a man clearing the field. Looking down my alley to the left this is what I see now that he has finished his second day of work:

This is the view from the other side:

I am telling you, we are in a panic. A major panic! What if we lose our field? What if we lose our dirt bike track? What if they build 500 houses behind my house?!? One of our neighbors told me that they cleared it completely two years ago. I was shocked that the growth that the boys think is a forest for building forts was only two years worth of growth. Here's hoping they decide they have done enough already. Here's hoping we don't lose our dirt bike path/fort building forest/private back yard. Here's hoping my kids don't decide to go through with their plan to sabatoge the man's brush hog the next time he rolls down our alley.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Does he work for the city? What's his purpose? You should ask him to leave an area for you guys!! If he won't, I'd say, go ahead with the sabotage plans! : )
JoLee

Amy said...

I don't know! I don't know! He wasn't here today though. We're happy about that. We are keeping our fingers crossed that he is done.

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

What a tragedy- get the brush hog boys!