Tuesday, September 16, 2008

First Day

Today was my first day out in the schools for practicums. I had reading in the morning in a 5th grade class. The classroom teacher I will be learning from was Chase's language arts teacher last year. I absolutely love her! I started today and will spend five hours a week in her classroom for the next 10 weeks. I will teach two lessons per week that I write and then work with small groups for the rest of the time doing things that she needs me to do (tutoring, extra reading help, etc). In October I will go to another school to teach math and science in a kindergarten class. Today I went to meet that classroom teacher during her planning period. She seems very friendly and organized. I will teach two math and two science lessons each week for six weeks. I am very excited about all of it. Here are the course descriptions from the college just in case you are extremely bored and want to know what these practicum classes are all about:

ED 4309 Mathematics: Instructional Strategies for the Elementary and Middle School Teacher (2-2). This field-based course emphasizes the integration of research and theories about the process of learning mathematics. The development of logical reasoning in students, stages of intellectual development, appropriate questioning and problem solving strategies and techniques will be used with students in a public school setting. The TEKS addressing basic mathematics information, methods, and materials will be included. (Must be taken concurrently with ED 4311, ED 4314.)

ED 4311 The Elementary School: Instructional Strategies in Language Arts and Social Studies (2-2). The development of the elementary school learner, including special student populations, with emphasis on social, emotional, and intellectual development will be stressed. Problem solving, critical thinking, and other appropriate strategies will be studied using concepts from the social studies and language arts essential elements. A field practicum is required. (Must be taken concurrently with ED 4309, ED 4314.)

ED 4314 Science: Instructional Strategies for the Elementary and Middle School Teacher (2-2). This field-based course emphasizes the integration of research and theories about the processes of learning science. The major science processes such as observing, experimenting, measuring, classifying, analyzing, interpreting, sequencing, recognizing properties and patterns, and inferring will be used with students in a public school setting. The TEKS addressing basic scientific information, methods, and materials will be included. (Must be taken concurrently with ED 4309, ED 4311.)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Do you do this instead of student teaching or do you have to both? If it is instead I like the way you do it better than MN. We had to go to a school and work full time for a semester. We start the first few weeks observing and then by the end we are teaching all day. I hated student teaching! Good luck.

Amy said...

I still have to student teach. That is my spring semester! Our professors say it is like working a full time job for free!!!