Thursday, July 03, 2008

"Get Back for Bob"

On June 21 Lisa, Shelley, Brandi and I went out to the bar where I've kissed so many boys I can't count Old City Hall in Oswego to attend the "Get Back for Bob" fundraiser. Bob's family was struck by a drunk driver on scenic highway 1 along the California coast. It's a beautiful drive, and a tragic event. Throughout the weekend Bob's family hosted various events to help Bob and his daughters. Bob was one of those guys in high school that got along with and was liked by everyone. He didn't try to fit into any particular clique but seemed to have friends everywhere. I think that was obvious over the weekend. The event at Old City Hall was like a class reunion without nametags! I saw more people in one night than I have seen in the 16 years since I graduated from high school. It was an amazing night and I think a good time was had by all. I hope that the weekend was a huge success for Bob and his family.


See the guy on the left with the striped shirt? He was my first "slow dance boyfriend" in middle school -- Steve. The guy in the blue shirt is Jeff, another all-around good guy. And Bob is in the hat. I don't know the other guys, but I probably should. 16 years tends to cloud the memory a little. There is a reason people wear nametags at reunions!


Brandi, me, Lisa -- We drank all night and didn't get drunk. Some things never change at Old City!


The night wasn't only a class reunion, but a family reunion too. Here's a picture of Shelley & me with our cousin Zoe.


Bob singing "Every Rose has it's Thorn"
All of the music that night was from the late 80s, early 90s. Talk about feeling right at home ... in my favorite bar, with my favorite music. It was a good night.


A picture of the bar. Nothing has changed!


The deck on Water Street. Nothing has changed!


Wait a minute, something's changed!!!! Sam & Jo, do you ever remember seeing anything like this when we were kids? Think Water Street during Harborfest .... hm .... there's something wrong with this picture!
We all had a good time that night and will continue to keep Bob and his family in our hearts. Here are some links if you are interested in reading more or donating to Bob and his daughters:
I also have an Oswego address/bank account for anyone that wants to send money directly to the fund set up by Bob's family. Email me and let me know if you want it.

10 comments:

S.S.R.Z.M. Himes said...

Look at Shelley all grown up!! No More drinks in the streets? Good thing we drank illegally so many years ago! I wonder if they still get the same crowd during Harborfest~ how can that be patrolled???? I need last names for the people in the band,except for Bob-great to see him there, first names mean nothing b/c they don't even look familiar.

Amy said...

Steve Butera
Jeff McCaffrey (don't know if I spelled it right)

Now do you recognize them?!?

We are so old!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that place still looks the same! Yeah, except for that big sign up there. Hmm...wonder how Harborfest does work. If I ever get back up there then, I'll let you know!
I'm so curious to know who else was there!! I wish I could have made it back. Did you see anyone else I might remember?

S.S.R.Z.M. Himes said...

Now I know the names=) Yeah who else was there???? I always wish I could be back when everyone else is there. It never works out- we NEED to plan something JO and AMY and be there together say next summer??????

S.S.R.Z.M. Himes said...

Plus I forgot.... Did you see the pics I posted on my blog??? I want you to know I did that all by myself=) I am catching on=)

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

Great post! I borrowed some of the pictures and wording for my blog- hope you don't mind!

Amy said...

Sam & Jo, I honestly can't remember any other names. Steve-someoneelse (a friend of yours & Rod's, Jo) and a bunch of other people that I said HI, IT'S SO GREAT TO SEE YOU but couldn't remember their names! Oh, I saw Sean Dewine but had to ask him his name. Hm, there were many, many more, but I just didn't remember names. During the entire night Lisa would say, "You went to school with him" and I would say "Yeah, I think so ???"

You know I go up every summer so you two need to just plan on being there in June. I'll see you then :)

Amy said...

Lisa,
Of course I don't mind that you borrowed. I am still wanting to borrow your "move over jackass" er, I mean, "Slower Traffic Keep Right" post.

Amy said...

PS to Sammy, I am proud of you and your technical skill. Now if we can get you to post something more than once a month ... ;)

Unknown said...

We drank all night and YOU guys didn't get drunk, but I look pretty loaded in this pic. What can I say, I don't get out much so even Old City'll do me in! LOL! Had a blast...can't wait to see everyone again next vacation!