Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I am turning into Maxine

Yesterday after my reading class I went to the college bookstore to buy the book that was labeled "optional" in the syllabus, but seems very necessary to me. It wasn't there. I went back after class this morning and it still wasn't there so I decided to ask if they knew when to expect it. My thinking was that it might save me from walking over there every day just to see an empty spot on the shelf. So I walked up to the girl at the counter, whom I will refer to as stupid girl #1. This is how it all went down:

me: "Excuse me, there is a book that I need for my reading class that is not here. If I tell you the title, can you tell me when it will arrive?"

stupid girl #1: "Uhhh, the book you want isn't here?"

me: "No. I am sure it's been ordered. I was just wondering if you know when to expect it."

stupid girl #1: "Summer II?" (refering to the semester that started yesterday)

me: "Yes." (thinking, what the hell difference does that make?!?)

stupid girl #1: "Let's look on the shelf."

me: "I can tell you the title if that's what you need."

stupid girl #1: (she doesn't answer me, looks at the shelf in the exact place I looked, then walks over to stupid girl #2) "Hey, stupid girl #2, she (referring to me) needs a book for her reading class."

stupid girl #2: "Yeah, we are out."

me: "I can see that. I was wondering if you knew when to expect it?"

stupid girl #2: "We ordered it yesterday."

me: "Do you know when it will be in?"

stupid girl #2: "Your professor called us and we ordered it yesterday."

me: (trying really hard not to yell so I just stare blankly at her thinking all kinds of mean things)

stupid girl #2: "Your professor knows we don't have the book."

me: (speaking slowly as if that will help) "Yes, I know that. I just want to know if you know when it will be here."

stupid girl #2: "We put a rush on it."

me: (more blank stares and mean thoughts)

stupid girl #2: "I guess you could check back tomorrow. It's supposed to be here by tomorrow, at the latest."

me: "Thanks." (walk out the door and think more mean thoughts)

I mean, all I could think about was how absolutely stupid these girls were. I asked them a simple question. The expected answers where (1) we don't know when it will be in or (2) it will be here on XXX date. How hard is that? Did I need to know that my professor knew the book was out? Did I need to know that they ordered it yesterday? Nope. None of that. I only needed an answer to my ONE FREAKIN QUESTION!!! Sometimes I can feel myself slowly turning into Maxine!

6 comments:

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

I See Stupid People...

Anonymous said...

DUDE!!! All stupid people need to stay home!

Amy said...

Dude! I know!

Anonymous said...

HOLY FREAKIN COW. I CAN'T BELEIVE HOW STUPID PEOPLE CAN BE. YOU WOULD THINK BEINGS THAT THEY DO WORK IN A STORE THAT THEY WOULD KNOW WHEN SOMETHING COMES IN.

I GOT ONE MAYBE SOMEBODY SHOULD TELL THEM TO READ A BOOK ON ETIQUETE WHEN A CUSTOMER COMES IN THE STORE:) (FOR STUPID GIRL 1 & 2)
AMY YOU KNOW AS NICE AS I AM I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE JUST WENT CRAZY IN FRONT OF THEM TO SEE IF I COULD GET A REACTION OTHER THAN STUPID!
CINDY IN NC MISS YOU GUYS

Amy said...

Cindy, you are way nicer than I am! You are so sweet to every person we ever see when we are out together and I am sure you are that way all the time. I can't imagine you ever getting mad at anyone!! But these girls might have tested your patience :) Oh, and by the way ... the book still isn't there!!! And it's Saturday now!

Anonymous said...

You are too sweet!!!!!

That is just crazy. Those girls are just clueless:( sad isn't it!

Cindy