Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Coping Mechanism

Here's Chase with all of his necessary gear for Beginner Band. Notice the no shirt thing ... this was taken the day before school started and for some reason my boys don't wear shirts in the summer at all any more. It has gotten so bad that they will just get in the car without shirts even if we have to go to public places. And I don't even notice! One time we were going to the grocery store and I had to make Chase wait in the car because we got all the way there before we realized he didn't have a shirt on. But wait, this post was supposed to be about band, not a belated thankyouLudwigsenfamilyforgettingmyboysintothishabit post.



Here are the books and the metronome. That thing is tiny, but boy is it loud. And it doesn't turn off. We have to take the batteries out to make it shut up!


Here is the "bell kit" Yes, it is a xylophone to those of you that don't know any better. But trust me, I am becoming well versed in the whole percussion subject! I am also becoming well versed in the money spending category too, but we won't talk about that because it is too early in the morning for tequila.


This is a practice pad. It is not loud at all. It is so quiet I would go so far as to call the sound it makes music to my ears.


This is not a practice pad. It is a snare drum. A very, very, very loud snare drum. Which Chase's band director so nicely allowed him to keep at home for practice. 30 minutes of practice. Seven days a week.


Here is the assortment of mallets he needs to make noise music with. They weren't cheap either!


And this, my friends, is my coping mechanism. This is how I deal with the cost and the noise. It is so so so so good and so so so so worth it! Lisa isn't selling Tastefully Simple any more, but when this is all gone I will find a new consultant because I can't make it through Beginner Band without this!

4 comments:

S.S.R.Z.M. Himes said...

You drink gir!!. I mean COPE anyway you have to. I am happy so far my kids have not wanted to take band. I am sure I will eat my words and then have to join your coping routine.

Amy said...

His choices weren't very broad ... band, choir, orchestra or teen leadership. And I am telling you, the teen leadership thing was not very fun looking!

S.S.R.Z.M. Himes said...

Ryan had lots of choices when he entered. He got to try a little of everything. He took a few weeks of each: Biotechnology, career decisions, art, chorus, band, keyboarding, a type of photography class. Way more choices, plus the kids knew what they liked for 7tha dn 8th grade to take. Ryan has taken and completed the required by NC law before they exit 8th grade, typing and a computer technology class in 7th grade and right now he is in Biotech for the full course then 2nd semester he has Special Interest Topics class, totally don't know what that is. Need to be back over here more encore class choices=)

Amy said...

Wow! That's a lot of choices! I think Chase has more choices in 7th & 8th, but I am not really sure yet.