Friday, September 28, 2007

Observation

I started my Observation assignment today. This semester I will spend 20 hours in a 2nd grade classroom in a local elementary school. The classroom teacher is supposed to be my mentor. I met her yesterday (she seems great!) and started today. I wanted to share a couple of the conversations I had or overheard while they were painting. I definitely made some interesting "observations" today!

Child A: I can't have Halloween.
Child B: Why not?
Child A: Because it isn't about Jesus.
Child B: I get to have Halloween.
Child C: You get to cebrebrate it.
Child A: I don't get to cebrebrate it. I want to, but my mom and dad won't let me.
Child B: What if you dress up as Jesus? Then can you have it?
Child C: I don't know anything about this Jesus person, but I am going to be a pirate. You should just tell your parents that you want to go. Then they'll let you.

It went on and on like that for a while until I just left their table! I mean, what do you even say to that?!?

Then I went to a different table and talked to a boy about his painting. He showed me his 4-yr old sister and said, "That's my sister. She's four. And she knows all of the cuss words already." His parents should be so proud!

Next table ... a little girl reading her book (because she's done with her painting already). She looks up at me with very intense eyes and says, "If I focus enough on one word I feel like I am psychic. Do you want me to tell you something?"

Uh.... no, I'm good! Or better yet, tell me how I am supposed to participate in these kinds of conversations!!

2 comments:

S.S.R.Z.M. Himes said...

Just think what else you will learn about the kids when your time is up in that classroom. Send the psychic this way I have questions:-)

Amy said...

I think I need to get some info from the psychic AND the dog that can open the fridge and get out a beer. Just think how my life might change!