Friday, February 29, 2008

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader Part II

Today is February 29th, in the Year of Our Lord 2008. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

When I picked up the boys from school we engaged in two conversations. One I could keep up and one I couldn't. The first went like this:

Kenny: There's a boy in my class that turned 2 today.
Me: That's so cool!
Kenny: And he's taller than me.
Me: And he's only 2?!?
Kenny: Yup, he has a leap year birthday.
Me: That's pretty special.
Kenny: So when I am 100 he'll only be 25.
Me: That's pretty young.
Kenny: Yup, that's cool. Can I have a snack when we get home?
Me: You sure can.

And the second:

Chase: Actually, he'll only be 24.
Me: And why is that?
Chase: We have a leap year every four years, unless the year is divisible by 100. That year is not a leap year. Well, with the exception of the years that are divisible by 400. They are still leap years. So 2000 was a leap year, but 2100, 2200, and 2300 will not be leap years. That is because the solar year is slightly less than 365.25 days.
Me: So do you want a snack when we get home too?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those boys have it over your head and mine!!! How do you feel when they talk about something you have no clue how to carry on the conversation? And we thought you were a smart little kid!!!!

Anonymous said...

Not related--- did you see Cherokee's Legend Rock at Westminster? He is Beanie's next husband. He had the whole croud cheering for him. Should have gotten BOG. (Best of Nonsporting Group) He's been best Bulldog in US for three years straight!

Unknown said...

This is hilarious! That is one smart redneck you are raising there. I know who to call if I ever make it on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!

Anonymous said...

You have no one to blame but yourself! If you would have left him in public school last year, this would not be an issue! :)
LOL! Your boys are smart!!
JoLee

Anonymous said...

Too funny. What an answer?;)))))

cindy -NC