Then on Tuesday morning we got up very early to fly to NY. Everything went extremely well for our first flight and I was very happy with how easy it was to fly with two older kids (the last time we flew Chase was 4 and Kenny was 1) and a dog. She did very well in her little carry-on kennel. 

Unfortunately our good luck ran out in NYC. I opted to give up our seats on our 1:15 flight in exchange for seats on the 4:00 flight and three $400 flight vouchers. It was pretty exciting until our 4:00 flight was delayed until 6:00 and then we sat on the airplane until 8:30 waiting for a storm to pass. Then at 8:30 they cancelled our flight and we stood in a customer service line until midnight. Kenny fell asleep on the floor a couple of times. Chase made conversation with everyone around him that wasn't so angry at the airline that they wouldn't talk. At midnight people were being told that the next confirmed flight to Syracuse would be on Friday (yes, three days later). Passengers were being given stand-by spots on other airlines for the next day. And nobody was getting hotel or meal vouchers -- they were handing out tiny blankets and pillows so that people could sleep in the airport!
It was our turn in line and the customer service rep was having trouble finding us a flight because there were three of us (and a dog!) when all of a sudden a woman came running around the corner asking for four people for seats that were empty on a flight that was leaving for Syracuse -- right then and there. I fought for three of those seats! I mean, I yelled and argued until I won them ... it was very unlady-like and very mama-bear like! 30 minutes later we were in the air and at 1:30 am we finally landed in Syracuse. My dad got up in the middle of the night to come and get us. The boys had fun playing in an empty airport while we waited for him. We got to Oswego around 3:00 am -- exactly 24 hours after we woke up in our hotel in Austin to make it to the airport on time. We were exhausted, but glad to be here. Kenny is still telling everyone who will listen that it is "all my Mom's fault" that we were stuck in the airport for 12 hours. And then I tell anyone who will listen that it was worth it because the next time we decide to embark on a flying adventure it will be $1200 cheaper!
No comments:
Post a Comment