Monday, February 18, 2008

At Least They Had a Good Day

Do you know what today is? It is President Day. It is a federal holiday. The post office was closed today. Federal banks were closed today. Most of my friends in other states in this great union had their kids home with them today. The entire United States Army had the day off. I would be willing to guess President Bush had the day off. Or at least he probably would have if his approval rating was better than 30% right now. I had class, but luckily for me Monday is a late day and my first class was canceled so we all slept in nice and late. It was a great day. I pretended I was a stay-at-home mom all morning. I made belgian waffles for breakfast. I baked banana bread. I cleaned the house. I finished the laundry. I studied for a test I have tomorrow. Brian and the boys played basketball, walked the dogs, played frisbee, went hiking, and rode their 4-wheeler. Then after lunch I went to class. When my friend Chelsea sat down next to me I noticed she was wearing her school disctrict badge. The badge she has to wear when she goes into the elementary school for her observation time. I said, "Chelsea, why are you wearing your badge? The kids didn't have school today." She said, "Yes, they did." I said, "But it's President's Day!" Then I started thinking ... how can they get a day off for the stock show? How can they get a day off for the rodeo? How can the entire United States Army take a day off and my kids are supposed to be in school on President's Day? And they are home playing frisbee with their dad right this very minute?!? I won't be winning any Mother of the Year Awards for this little mistake!

2 comments:

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

You made belgian waffles for breakfast. You baked banana bread. You cleaned the house. You finished the laundry. You studied for a test...
I'd say that earns you mother of the year award!

Amy said...

Yeah, but I didn't bother to send them to school!!!!!