Friday, February 15, 2008

Internet Privacy

I am trying a couple of little things to increase our amount of internet privacy. The first of which was taking our last name out of our blog address. The next thing I want to do is take our names and our town out of our postings. It all started with the posting I did last week about my textbooks. I was getting some really weird comments from strangers about how to sell textbooks online. I have also received some strange comments from strangers lately about how likable my blog is. I know a blog is public, but it is still a little weird to have strangers commenting on the video the boys made for my mom on her birthday!!!
Since then I have changed my blog address, taken my blog off from the search engine listings, and deleted a few of my postings. I have seen a noticable decrease in my daily traffic. (That is a good thing) I know that a blog is a public thing and I can't make it totally private if I want to be able to share it with my family and friends. But there are certain things I can do to make it a little more safe.
Some of the things I will be doing:
  • The boys have blogs too. They rarely update them, but they want to have them because I have one. If for some reason you want to visit them, please just email me and I will send you a link to give you permission to view their blogs. I have made their blogs private and right now the only people who can view them are me, their Grammy, and their Aunt Lisa.
  • Search engines have been instructed not to "crawl" my blog.
  • My blog is not available when other bloggers click "Next Blog".
  • I will not be using the name of our town, schools, or work places. I would appreciate it if you try not to use those names in your comments.
  • I am going to try to come up with clever nicknames for everyone in our family. I know it sounds a little silly, but it can be done in a way that is cute and not too weird. One of my favorite blogs to visit is Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. She calls her kids punks and her husband is the Marlboro man. If you have any ideas, please pass them along. I am toying with "Rednecks in Training" for the boys or maybe even "Boy1" and "Boy2" I am not very clever though so if you think of anything better ... please let me know. I am stuck on punks, but I don't want to steal it from the Pioneer Woman!

Ok, I think that's all of my new news for now. Look, I know this blogging thing is not fool proof and it's far from the safest thing on the internet. But I am going to make a couple of small attempts at making it just a little safer than it is now. This weekend I'll go through my old postings and pull out names & references to our town & schools. After that I might just have to start referring to myself as Wonder Woman or something stupid like that if you all don't help me out and come up with something better. Help a girl out, would ya?!?!?!

6 comments:

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

I'm not very good at coming up with nicknames either. All I could come up with was Sprout and Sprite. TJ is Hubba Bubba b/c it made us laugh out loud when I said it. I decided to scrap my other idea for now b/c it was getting too complicated and expensive and I like poking fun at AL right now. I love "little rednecks" by the way!

Amy said...

I like your Hubba Bubba/Sprout/Sprite names too. I liked your other names, but these are just a little better ... maybe easier to follow. That's what I keep thinking about ... I need the nicknames to be easy to follow.

Jennifer said...

Brian should be Top of course, because of his job, and after he changes jobs he's still your Top guy.

Jennifer said...

You could be Mimi, I don't now why, it's just what's popping in my head. You know, it's kind of like part of your name...

Jennifer said...

The boys could be
Aces and Spades
Cowboy and Indian
Helter and Skelter
Scout and Rebel
Smokey and Bandit
And about now I've lost interest in all this hard thinking...

Amy said...

Jennifer,
I guess it is just too much work to get rid of all of the references to the kids' names. And it isn't going to kill us to use their first names. But I will try to get rid of all last name and city references in here. Thanks for the ideas though. And when I am old with alzheimers, be sure to call me Mimi, because I kinda like it.