Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Empty Nest Syndrome

Remember our cute little eggs in my cute and very clean bird feeder? This was April 23rd.

And here they are on April 30th. If you want to revisit the video I took on this day click this.


On May 2nd we had a little drama when Rosie killed their mother. Not nice, I know. But nature is truly amazing. By the time I had contacted Animal Control and Animal Rehabilitation, the daddy bird had taken over and was letting me know he was going to care for them.


Here are our little neighbors one week later on May 9th. Their dad did a great job of taking care of them while he pooped all over my bird feeder. I am sorry my pictures are not very clear. My camera just wouldn't focus on them.


Here they are again on the same day.


This was taken the very next day on May 10th.


I decided to grab a chair and peek into their nest one more time. While I was looking I realized one of the birds was gone already. We were starting to wonder when they'd fly. Chase had seen them cleaning their wings that morning. At the very moment that I snapped this picture the other three birds flew out of their nest. I am certain I scared them out of their nest and I hope they were ready. My only consolation is that one was gone already. They all flew out and flew into trees at the house across the street. If I was a better photographer, or if I hadn't been busy screaming out in surprise I could have gotten a photo of them flying.


Now all I have left is an empty bird feeder covered in bird poop!

We are a little sad to see them go, but it was a fun experience watching them for the past couple of weeks. We knew we couldn't keep them and that they wouldn't stay for very long, but going from eggs to flying away seemed to happen way too quickly.

"God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages."
(Jacques Deval)

No comments: