Monday, April 21, 2008

Ironhead Striders Duathlon

Yesterday Brian participated in the 15th annual Ironhead Striders Duathlon. It was an 8 km run, 74 km bike, 8 km run. This is from the website:
USAT Duathlon Long Course World Qualifier & '08 SMW Regional Championship The oldest Duathlon in Texas in it's 15th year is BOTH the SMW Regional Championship and a qualifier for the World's Championship. This year the long course is the USAT National Long Course qualifier for the ITU World Championships in Duathlon. Two events: Long Course: 8km run-74km bike-8km run or the Sprint: 5km run- 18.6 mile bike-5 km run. All entrants receive a custom dri-fit event t-shirt. Bike course is flat to rolling but very fast with virtually no traffic and run courses are off road and
use the famous "Dirt Road from Hell". Twice voted the best duathlon in the South Midwest. New Race Distances: 8km run-74km bike-8km run or 5km run 30 km bike-5 km run. Also a 2008 USAT National Long Course World Qualifier and the Regional Duathlon Championship.

Race time was really early in the morning so the boys and I didn't go out until about two hours after it started. There were two courses -- the long course and the short course. When we got there most of the short course racers were finished, but we were early enough to watch Brian's last transition from bike to run and to see him finish the race.

Here's Brian coming in from the 74 km bike. They had to stop before the red carpet and then walk their bikes to the transition point.



Here's Brian's bike hanging up at the transition point. His was the 12th bike in out of about 145 participants.


Here he is taking off for the last leg of the race -- the second 8 km run. The run is on a dirt road run and it's nickname is the "Dirt Road from Hell"


We knew that once he left for the run we'd have about 30 minutes to wait for his finish so the boys stayed busy climbing trees while I enjoyed the sunshine and scenery (about 200 very athletic looking people!!)



Here's Brian finishing the race. The clock says 3 hrs, 20 minutes, and 30 seconds, but his official results say 3:25:31. I am not sure where the extra 5 minutes and 1 second came from but Brian said that his watch said 3:25 also so I am just going to assume they know what they are doing at these USA official Triathlon sanctioned events.


If you go to the link for his official results you can see that he placed 10th overall. He was 2nd in his age group. He was happy with his race and I would be proud of him regardless of where he came in. But I do want to mention that Brian was up against American pro trithlete Mike Lovato (he got 1st place) and special invite Patrick Schuster. If you are really interested in Brian's stats and the times for each individual leg of the race click here.

PS If you can ignore all of the temporary race stuff that is pictures throughout my photos, you can see the nice spot near the lake where we like to go camping. Just imagine it without the orange fences & cones.

3 comments:

Lisa Lou Hoo said...

Tell Brian Congratulations- that is awesome!! All of that with an injured foot too. I'd say he is an Ironhead! :) I think I burned a thousand calories just looking at the pictures!

Julie said...

Great job Brian! Next year maybe you can do it too Amy:~)
You'll be happy to know that I was tagged and didn't tag you, but get ready for the next time.

Amy said...

Lisa,
His foot is 100% better already. And I am sure that the most calories I burned that day were spent carrying around our cooler of drinks at the park!!

Julie,
There's no way in heck I am going to do it next year! I will stick to chair/camera/cooler duty! I am fairly certain I would fall over and DIE if I tried something like this!