Friday, January 25, 2008

Let the Pre-Teen Years Begin

Do you remember when you were a teenager and you stayed out until all hours of the night? You didn't think twice (or once for that matter) about your parents, did you? I didn't. I didn't think about how they had to wait up for me. I didn't think about how even if they said they were going to be in bed when I got home that they were really just in bed listening for the door so that they knew I was home safe. Or at least my mom was anyway. The rule was that I'd have to knock on her bedroom door to tell her when I got home. Then ... lucky her ... about 5 hours after I got home she'd be waking up to go to work. And I'd sleep for about 5 more hours without thinking twice about the sacrifice she had made for me the night before. I did this from the time I was 14 until I was 18. She probably worried about me until I moved out of the house at 20 even though I didn't have to ask permission to go out anymore. So that's six years of waiting up. I have two younger brothers. I think Toby started going out with his friends when he was 13. I am not sure when Shelley started going out with his friends. But he is five years younger than me. And he didn't move out until he was about 20. So it's safe to say my mom didn't sleep well from the time I was 14 until he was 20. That's 11 straight years! I mean, a mother barely has time to recover from the baby/toddler years when she has to start in with the teenage years! What is my point, you ask? Or maybe you aren't asking. Maybe I am simply exhausted and trying my hardest to stay awake while I wait for my 11-year old redneck to get home from a birthday party. Yes, that's my point. Birthday parties for 5th graders are not on Saturdays from 2 pm to 4 pm any more. That's simply not cool. They are Friday nights until 11 pm (or later!) He's at a skating rink right now. Fortunately the parents of the birthday kid are giving tonight's guests a ride home, but still ... it's my turn to wait up. Let the pre-teen years begin.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Just wanted to tell you that Lance, our 5th grader, went to a birthday party today. It was at the skating rink from 1pm-3:30pm on a Sunday. I guess I should be grateful I have a geeky son and his friends are geeky too:) I think Liam will be the one that hangs out with the cool kids like Chase.

Anonymous said...

You're in for it now!!!! Love Ya, Mom